Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pocahontas

This week’s film takes us to early 17th Century North America- It’s Disney’s Pocahontas.
 
 
The film premiered in 1995 and holds a dear place in my childhood.  I still remember singing “Just Around the Riverbend” at the top of my lungs and having a major crush on Kocoum when we saw Pocahontas: Disney on Ice.  Ahhh.  Sweet memories. 
 
 
Pocahontas is about the legend of the Native American Powhatan tribe's chief's daughter (Pocahontas) willingly putting her life on the line to save the English captive, Captain John Smith.  A group of Englishmen have arrived in this "new world" (present day Virginia) in 1607 with plans to conquer the land, subdue the native "savages," and find piles upon piles of gold.  It is not long before these Englishmen and the Native American habitants of the continent find themselves in conflict against each other.  The film presents that in this most unlikely of situations, Pocahontas and John Smith find themselves falling in love; however their hardest battle to overcome will be keeping peace between their people.
 
 
Once again Disney delivers superb animation, an engaging story, good music and funny sidekicks.  This is definitely one of the Disney films that defined my childhood.  I love the music - from the iconic "Colors of the Wind" and the lively "Just Around the Riverbend" to the lesser known "Steady as the Beating Drum" and "Mine, Mine, Mine" songs. 
 
 
And speaking of music, Pocahontas has my second favorite credit song ever.  It's "If I Never Knew You" performed by Jon Secada and Shanice.  If you've never heard it, you can have a listen here.  In the theatrical release of this film, this song was ONLY included in the credits.  When Disney released the film on DVD in 2005, they added a scene in which John Smith and Pocahontas sing this song.  I definitely vote that it stays just the credit song.  If you have the option, I recommend watching the film in the original theatrical release version.  :)  Oh.  And because I'm sure you're all anxious to know my very favorite credit song ever... It's "At the Beginning" from Anastasia.  (And third place goes to "My Heart Will Go On.")
 
 
One of my favorite parts of this film are the supporting cast of characters.  A younger Christian Bale voices Thomas - one of the young English blokes arrived in the New World that John Smith watches out for.  The villainous Governor Ratcliffe delivers a good performance as the greedy English conqueror.  There's also the inexplicably wonderful Grandmother Willow.  (She's a wise tree who offers advice through song. To understand her, you've just got to see the movie.)  And finally, perhaps my favorite characters in the movie: the animal sidekicks.  First up there is Flit, the hummingbird.  He's the most protective 3 ounces of feathers I've ever seen who continually tries to point the other characters in the right direction; though often without much success.  Then there is Meeko, the raccoon.  He is always hungry, generally mischievous, and adorably funny.  Finally, rounding out the trio is Governor Ratcliffe's pug, Percy.  This pampered pooch starts out as Meeko's enemy, but in the end they become fast friends.
 
Who is the first character to bring Meeko and Percy together as friends?

Pocahontas falls in the midst of the Disney Renaissance and as such is as great as you would expect.  I do recommend looking up the history of the real Pocahontas when you have a chance as well.  As beautiful as the Disney film is, it's decidedly a romanticized view of this legendary woman.  And as lovely as seeing the world through rose-colored glasses can be, the truth is always better.
 
 
With that, I'll leave you this week with the opening lines to "Colors of the Wind:"
 
You think I'm an ignorant savage,
And you've been so many places, I guess it must be so.
But still I cannot see, if the savage one is me,
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know.
 
 
Coming Up Next Week: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

No comments:

Post a Comment