Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fantasia 2000

Nearly 60 years after the premiere of Fantasia, Walt Disney studios brings you Fantasia 2000.
 
 
The film has much the same premise as the original – a series of animated shorts set to classical and iconic musical pieces.  The only dialogue in the film happens between segments when a celebrity or musician introduces the music and story of the upcoming piece in the film.  My favorite part of Fantasia 2000 was that it was only half as long as Fantasia.  I much prefer for my entertainment to be diverting as opposed to grandly artistic.  And the Fantasia films are all about the artistry of animation and musical compositions.  In essence, they are not my cup of tea.  But I set out this year to watch and review every animated Disney film in the Disney canon, so here are my thoughts on Fantasia 2000.

 
Fantasia 2000 is composed of 8 segments or compositions or pieces.  As with the original Fantasia, some of the pieces seem to tell a story while some are purely artistic and abstract.  Similarly to the first film, I enjoyed some of the segments but could really do without others.  Fantasia 2000 did feature a repeat of Mickey's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment.  This was the only segment to be repeated from the original film.
 
The artistic pieces (that I could really have done with out) include the abstract triangle butterfly opening number...

 
The flying humpback whale ballet... (I know.  I thought I would have liked that one too.)

 
The New York City "Rhapsody in Blue" number... (I also thought I would have enjoyed this more, but I just didn't jive with the artistic direction it took.)

 
And the ending number involving a stag and the spirit of spring?  It was weird...

 
The two numbers that I thought were ok were the flamingo piece (featuring a yoyo)...

 
And the "Pomp and Circumstance" number featuring Donald Duck and Noah's Ark  (also a bit odd, but at least there was plot)

 
My favorite segment by far was "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" number, though in truth I think this would have been a wonderful story to see executed as a full-length movie.  Still it was my favorite story from Fantasia 2000.

 
When Walt originally came up with the concept for Fantasia, the idea was that it would be a continually evolving piece.  It would feature some of the favored classic pieces, but it would also continue to introduce new segments of animation and musical compositions.  I will not hesitate to admit that I am not sad (at all) that this particular project of Walt’s did not come to fruition.  I also freely admit that this concept and style of film is decidedly not my cup of tea, but kudos to all that do enjoy it.
 
With that, it seems like an excellent week to end with an inspiring quote for Walt himself:
 
“Why worry?  If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.”
 
 
Coming Up Next: Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment