Monday, December 21, 2015

Winnie the Pooh

Oh bother.  Yep.  That pretty much sums up this next film on our journey: Winnie the Pooh.


This film which premiered in 2011 is not to be confused with The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh from 1977.  This film could very loosely be called a sequel in that it starred the same characters as the first film... but there's no sequential timeline or plot that links the films.


As mentioned in the other Pooh movie review, these films are filled with a lovable, delightful, well-known cast of characters.  Unfortunately the magic of the The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was not captured in this subsequent theatrical presentation...


My first dilemma with this film is its length and poor set-up.  The film clocks in at less than an hour at 53 minutes!  This is nearly unheard of in cinema.  I suppose if it was a very good 53 minutes, it might not matter...  But it's not.  Also, the Many Adventures story set-up is a series of tales involving Pooh and friends with each tale setup as its own chapter.  Winnie the Pooh uses the same method.  With one chapter.  Yes.  Just one... because that makes so much sense when you're telling one story.  It needs its own chapter or it might get confused with all of the other chapters that don't exist...


My second point of discontent with the film is its modern gags and the steps it takes away from innocence.  The charm and delight of Winnie the Pooh is its subtle humor, adventure in the seemingly mundane, and fresh perspective offered from a bear of very little brain.  What we have here is humor that falls flat, a depressed donkey who actually says "we're all gonna die" at one point in the film, and ridiculousness to the point of absurdity.  I'll admit I smiled in a few places, but I was more apt to be shaking my head or rolling my eyes.


My third (and final) point of contention with the film is the lackluster music.  As I'm sure you've gathered on this Disney film journey together, music easily makes or breaks a film for me.  And for Winnie the Pooh, I consider myself entirely unimpressed.  I did not appreciate the "new spin" on the title song, and all of the new songs were utterly forgettable.


There is beauty to be found in the hand-drawn aspect of the film.  And the characters are still wonderful (albeit a bit less endearing).  The film as a whole simply falls flat, which is sad because Winnie the Pooh and friends give film creators huge potential to soar.  I would not recommend this film.  (Shocker I know.)  However, if you do need more Winnie the Pooh and friends in your life, I cannot recommend highly enough Piglet's BIG Movie.  The film is not considered one of Disney's theatrically released feature films, but it is wonderful.  The story is great.  The music is fun and catchy.  The characters are as lovable as ever.  Piglet absolutely shines.  And the film has huge heart. Though it's not part of this journey with Walt, it's definitely worth a watch (or two).


To close I'll leave you with some Winnie wisdom:

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day."


Coming Up Next: Wreck It Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment