Wednesday, April 23, 2014

101 Dalmatians

This week's movie has really gone to the dogs.  Particularly dogs with spots... Yep.  This week's movie is 101 Dalmatians. :)


Before we proceed, I have an important disclaimer for the Disney detail sticklers out there: the original full title of the film is One Hundred and One Dalmatians.  For the purpose of this post, I will be using the slightly adapted and current title of 101 Dalmations Dalmatians. (Maybe I'll spell that correctly by the end of this post...)


101 Dalmatians premiered in 1961.  It is one of my most beloved Disney films from childhood. (It must have been a big re-release in the 80s or 90s because the original film premiered decades before my birth.)  Anyways...  101 Dalmatians tells the story of Pongo and Perdita (pronounced Pur-dee), their 15 puppies, the nefarious Cruella De Vil (Did the song just get stuck in your head too?), and the Dalmatians' "pets:" Robert and Anita Radcliffe (they would be the dogs' owners).  There is romance and villainy, humor and British accents, puppies and more puppies; oh, and a cat named Sargent Tibbs.


After my review of Lady and the Tramp, it is easy to think that I wouldn't enjoy 101 Dalmatians as the material is so similar, but in fact I love this film!  I watched it countless times as a child and still find it most engaging as an adult.  Those who know me well know that I see situations and problems in black and white.  I don't do the "gray area."  And this film certainly affirms my love for black and white!  (In more ways then one!  Sorry.  Have I also mentioned that I love puns?!)

 

101 Dalmatians is a clean, crisp story with clear villains and heroes.  Cruella De Vil is evil.  (And really, with a name like that who wouldn't be?)  Cruella's one love in life is fur.  As in fur coats.  She decides that she must have a spotted fur coat... This is bad news for any Dalmatian puppy living in London.  This leads to the eventual capture of Pongo and Perdita's puppies.  Gasp!  The tale of search for the puppies and their escape from Cruella's evil clutches creates a wonderful adventure captured by Disney. 


Cruella is wicked through and through.  (She would be the black in this story.)  Cruella's bumbling sidekicks, Horace and Jasper, also amp up the villainy in the film, but also provide some excellent comedic relief.  Who wouldn't enjoy watching puppies outwit the bumbling (or just plain evil) bad guys?  It makes it so easy to root for the Dalmatians and against Cruella and her crew.


I'm learning that the likability of the characters is the most important media ingredient for me to enjoy a story.  Whether it's presented on film, television, or the written word, I need to like the characters.  If I don't like the characters (particularly the protagonists), I won't enjoy the story.  A happy ending is probably the second most important ingredient... but I digress.  I enjoy the cast of characters of 101 Dalmatians so much!  Pongo and Perdita are willing to race across a snow-filled countryside and do anything to save their puppies- and when it turns out not just their puppies are in danger, they do everything in their power to save all of the puppies.  The puppies themselves are just adorable!  Six are named in the film- Patch, Lucky, Rolly, Pepper, Penny, and Freckles.  I also have to give Nanny some love.  She would be the Radcliffe's housekeeper and she's British and wonderful!  She's a definite scene stealer.  :)


For you Disney Detailers out there - be on the lookout for some familiar faces from Lady and the Tramp.  Also, if you're a parent and planning to show this to your kiddos, I just want to warn you that the terms "idiot" and "shut up" pop up multiple times in the film.  It's definitely one of my favorites though, so I definitely recommend seeing it!


And with that, I will leave you with the timeless words from masterful songwriter, Roger Radcliffe:

Cruella De Vil
Cruella De Vil
If she doesn't scare you
No evil thing will
To see her is to
Take a sudden chill
Cruella, Cruella De Vil

I mean it was already stuck in your head, right? ;)

Coming Up Next Week: The Sword in the Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment