Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lady and the Tramp

Lady and the Tramp.  A dog's tale about life and love.


Lady and the Tramp premiered in 1955 (the same year that Disneyland opened!).  The film tells the story of Lady, a beautiful dog from a happy home with owners who love her and treat her well, and what happens when she meets Tramp, a dog from the wrong side of the tracks who enjoys his footloose and fancy-free life.  Notably, this film is home to the most famous (and romantic) spaghetti dinner in all of movie history.
 

I realize that I'm going to be in the minority here, but Lady and the Tramp did not rock my socks- in other words, it wasn't my cup of tea.  (Did someone mention tea?)  For whatever reasons I did not find the film engaging.  Sure it was a cute story and the Bella Notte (spaghetti dinner) scene was adorable, but it's Disney magic did not sweep me away.  I think, the real problem is that I'm not much of an animal/pet person.  I've never had a pet (outside of a fish in the fourth grade), and so the storyline failed to tug at any real life heartstrings for me. 


My favorite scene from the film is actually when Peg sings "He's a Tramp" in the dog pound.  Probably because I like that song so much.  Also I thought the beaver scene when Tramp and Lady sell the beaver Lady's muzzle as a log puller was very funny.


I'm sorry that I don't have a lot of interesting things to say about Lady and the Tramp.  I still very much think that it deserves its place as a classic, iconic Disney film.  And I can completely see why people love the film.  For me, the magic just wasn't there with this film.  I still definitely recommend checking it out.  The film still has significant artistic merit.  As a matter of personal taste, it just wasn't my favorite.

Thanks for continuing on this film journey with me!  I hope everyone has a great week!


This week I'll leave you with the romantic lyrics of "Bella Notte:"

Oh this is the night, it's a beautiful night
And we call it bella notte
Look at the skies, they have stars in their eyes
On this lovely bella notte.
Side by side with your loved one,
You'll find enchantment here.
The night will weave its magic spell,
When the one you love is near!
Oh this is the night, and the heavens are right!
On this lovely bella notte!

 

Coming Up Next: Sleeping Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment