Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Silly ol' bear.  Yes.  This week's movie is the childhood classic: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.


My familiarity with this movie can be laid at the feet of my little sister Jessica.  Winnie the Pooh was her childhood movie.  I was more of a Sesame Street girl myself.  Thankfully I was just young/old enough to appreciate Winnie the Pooh, his adventures, and all of his wonderful friends.  In fact, I quote him to this day.  :)  My friends can attest to my frequent exclamations of "Dash it all!," "Heavens to Betsy!" and "Oh bother".  The Hundred Acre Wood residents really know what to say when you're in a pinch. ;)


The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh premiered in 1977 and is a collection of stories/chapters centered on Pooh and friends: Piglet, Rabbit, Tigger, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, Owl, Gopher and of course Christopher Robin.  The movie is sweet and endearing with subtle humor and a gift for making the audience smile.


There are so many iconic Winnie the Pooh stories in this film.  The opening number when Pooh disguises himself as a raincloud to fool the bees to steal their honey is adorable (as well as ineffective in practice).  Christopher Robin's patient pacing beneath the tree with his umbrella on the bright, sunny day saying "Tut, tut.  Looks like rain." is cinematic gold in my book.  Then poor Pooh gets stuck in Rabbit's front door after eating all of Rabbit's "hunny."

 

Perhaps the most memorable story to come out of this film would be "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day."  The Hundred Acre Wood experiences a very blustery "Windsday" literally sending inhabitants and houses flying.  The windy day leads to a rainy night (and one of the best rain songs ever!) and the arrival of the one-and-only Tigger (spelled tea, eye, double ga, ur)!


The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is full of a fantastic cast of characters, wonderful songs, a superb narrator, and heartwarming stories.  There is so much to love! 


Those who know me well, know that my favorite Disney character is Piglet- a pink-hued, timid, easily-overwhelmed, big-hearted fellow.  He is just adorable!  Funny and smart.  Kind and the best kind of friend.  I'd hang out with him any day!  It is one of my life goals to have my picture with him at Disneyland.  :)

 

Winnie the Pooh and friends are easily some of the most recognizable Disney characters to this day.  They continue to delight children (and adults) around the world.  From the classic books and movie, to the movies and television series of the past decades.  Winnie the Pooh and his fellow inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Woods still make the best set of friends- for the young and old alike.  I definitely enjoyed revisiting this piece of childhood.


This week I'll leave you with one of my favorite Winnie the Pooh quotes:


Coming Up Next Week: The Rescuers

No comments:

Post a Comment