Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Aristocats

I am so excited about this week's movie!!!  We've reached the 20th film on our journey through Walt's animated masterpieces, and it's The Aristocats!!


The film premiered in 1970.  It tells the story of Duchess and her kittens (Berlioz, Toulouse, and Marie) and how their lives are forever changed by one scheming butler and one alley cat.  This movie is so funny!!!  I think I smiled the entire time I watched it.  :)  The film is full of slapstick comedy, adorable kittens with lisps, an energetic (but slightly unstable) elderly lawyer, great lines and British geese!  I don't see how someone could not like this movie!  On top of all of the humor and great characters, the movie has heart.  Come to think of it, this may be my first romantic comedy- a genre I still love in all its corniness, cheesiness, and predictability!  Huzzah for the happy ending and finding true love!


The standout character of The Aristocats has got to be Thomas O'Malley.  Make that Abraham De Lacy Guiseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley. ;)  He's a footloose and fancy-free kind of guy with no real strings to tie him down.  When he happens upon the lovely Duchess, he definitely tries to take her on a carpet ride for two... but when he finds out about the three kittens, he still steps up to the plate to help them get back to Paris.  Oh right.  I should probably tell you why they need to get back to Paris.  Duchess and the kittens live happily with the wealthy Madame Adelaide Bonfamille.  Madame's butler Edgar, however, devises a dastardly scheme to make Duchess and the kittens disappear so that he will be first in line for Madame's inheritance when the time comes.  Hence, Duchess and the kittens find themselves lost in the French countryside until a knight in white armor, make that an orange alley cat with a crooked grin, shows up to save the day.


O'Malley is a little rough around the edges but lovable through and through!  He's brave and steps up to help and save Duchess and the kids time after time.  For a no strings kind of guy, he stays committed to their quirky family unit on their unconventional journey.  He's got a way with music.  His tough guy, alley cat speak makes me smile at every line.  He's just wonderful.  :)


Watching this film as an adult continues to reveal layers of humor that I missed as a child.  While the slapstick humor is just as funny as ever, it's so fun to uncover the subtle comedy in the film as well.  My favorite "adult humor" moment is probably when a man drinking wine sees a herd of alley cats being "chased" by a mouse and thus proceeds to pour his wine down the drain.  That totally went over my head years ago, but now it's doubly funny.


I also can't finish this review without at least giving an honorable mention to Abigail and Amelia, geese who also happen to be sisters.  They are definite scene stealers!  Their corny jokes are definitely my kind of humor!  The other scene stealer has got to be Georges Hautecourt, the lawyer.  Just thinking about these characters has got me grinning!  :D  I cannot recommend this movie enough!  I think I like it even more than 101 Dalmatians!


Oh my goodness!  I almost forgot to mention the music!  Once again we have the musical genius of the Sherman Brothers to thank.  However the real show-stopping tunes of the show are the jazzier numbers not written by the Sherman Brothers.  O'Malley's opening number is fantastic.  One of films' greatest character introductions.  The film's musical epitome though has to be the jazzy, bluesy "Ev'rybody Wants to be a Cat" performed by Scat Cat and his gang (the real life Scatman Crothers).


Ok.  I think I hit the highlights...  The Aristocats is absolutely one of my favorite Disney films!  Definitely a must-see!

I hope everyone has a great week!

This week I'll leave you with an etiquette lesson from Marie:

Ladies don't start fights, but they can finish them!


Coming Up Next Week: Robin Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment